Georgia College Wins PBC SAAC Challenge Award

GC SAAC Advisor Gretchen Krumdieck, 18-19 SAAC Rep Caroline Snider and University President Dr. Steve Dorman
GC SAAC Advisor Gretchen Krumdieck, 18-19 SAAC Rep Caroline Snider and University President Dr. Steve Dorman

AUGUSTA, GA. – Georgia College was presented with the 2018-19 Peach Belt Conference (PBC) Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Challenge (SAAC) Award at the league's joint meetings. The award is presented annually to the SAAC committee who exemplified the six core attributes of NCAA Division II: resourcefulness, service, passion, balance, learning and sportsmanship.

It is Georgia College's third win in the five-year history of the award.

Conference member SAAC committees earn points throughout the year in six different categories. The first three categories are weighed at 40% include student-athlete attendance at conference SAAC meetings, community service and engagement events, and Make-a-Wish totals. The other three categories are weighed at 60% include PBC Elite 15 awards (2 points per winner), Honor Roll (percentage of student-athletes on honor roll), and team Sportsmanship Award winners.

In 2018-19, Georgia College led the PBC in percentage of student-athletes on the PBC Presidential Honor Roll. The Bobcats also won four Team Sportsmanship Awards and were tied for the league lead with four Elite 15 Award winners.  GC was also second in the league in Make-A-Wish giving.

The PBC's Senior Woman Administrators committee oversees the award.

The Georgia College Department of Athletics, two-time winners of the PBC Commissioner's Cup and the 2017 PBC Sportsmanship Institution of the Year, sponsors 11 varsity athletic programs at the NCAA Division II level. As a Division II program, Bobcat Athletics prides itself on balancing the life of the student-athlete, evidenced by the teams' multiple appearances in post-season competition as well as documented academic success and community-service involvement. Sign up at @GCBobcats on Twitter and Facebook for up-to-the-minute reports, and visit GCBobcats.PhotoReflect.com to purchase photo prints from home athletic contests.